Cast Iron I have

Monday, February 14, 2011

Quick but Not Dirty Tomato Clam Soup

In my Kitchen Aid dutch oven I have:
Saute in 1 tbsp of canola oil until translucent:
1 small onion, diced
1 stalk of celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 clove of garlic
Add:
1 can gold seal baby clams (I like gold seal because they aren't gritty)

You can pulse for about a minute in your food processor if you need to feed toddlers who might not like the chunky clams, then return to dutch oven (or if you have a stick blender, mix right in the pot) and add:

1 can spicy chopped tomatoes
1 - 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
1 quart low sodium chicken broth

Simmer on low for a couple of hours, stirring occasionally while helping with homework.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Here is the approximate nutritional information:



Serve with fresh buns.  I hope to have more pictures in the future, but for now just use your imagination.

5 comments:

  1. This was OK. I can't review it as well as I would like since that particular jar of spicy tomatoes was REALLY spicy. It was yummy, but it didn't really taste like clam soup.

    That is the downside of canning your own tomatoes, the seasoning isn't strictly the same between batches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt it. I just set up yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weird. There was already a blog called Cast Iron Kitchen - she must have deleted it and when you set it up it gave you the URL and it popped up in my google reader feed as an update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fiwa! (waving)

    Erin, your recipe sounds simple and tasty. I'm going to give it a try, next cold snap we have down here.

    ReplyDelete