Cast Iron I have

Saturday, February 19, 2011

A couple of days off

Just a quick warning. I have been lucky enough to invited for dinner ato friends and family members homes for all suppers this weekend. So new posts for a little while. I'll see you on Tuesday. In the mean time, a brief pause for cast iron love.

My father in law makes the most amazing crepes.  I would LOVE to get my hands on two of these so I could make them too: 

And here is the recipe to go with them:

Crepes
6 eggs
4 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 cup flour
½ cup canola oil
2 ½ cups milk

1. Cream together eggs and sugar until you reach the ribbon stage (about 2-3 minutes)
2. slowly pour in canola oil and milk mix well, add salt
3. slowly add the flour one spoonful at a time, allow each spoonful to mix in before adding the next, remember speed kills AND makes lumpy crepes.
4. cook by the ladle full on hot pans over medium heat, stir the mixture between each crepe because it tends to settle and the bottoms ones will be tough if you don't


Now is it just me, or is it weird that a crepe spatula is more money than the crepe pans? Anyway, one of these is nice to have for making crepes too. It isn't strictly necessary. Really the oxo spatula works fine too; you just need a little more care not to tear the crepes while flipping them.

1 comment:

  1. I have a pan like that and I love it. A couple of weeks ago, we went on an overnight trip and ended up walking around a little town full of antique shops. I found a gorgeous cast iron stock pot, or maybe campfire pot? I'm not sure. Anyway, I came home with it. :) Just wondered if you have any antique stores close by - there is usually cast iron cookware around and perhaps at a much better price.

    ReplyDelete