Cast Iron I have

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Why Cast Iron?

The easy answer is iron.  I have been anemic all my life.  Not always in the "stage three, passing out" kind of anemia that people think of, but in the "my ferritin is so low I am almost" there kind of way.  Plus those three kids I mentioned earlier are all girls and my lovely husband and I are regular blood donors.  The extra iron is good for us.

This isn't true for everyone.  Hemochromatosis is real.  It just isn't in our family.  Everyone has their own health challenges.  We deal with type 1 diabetes, cerebral palsy and asthma.  When I start offering recipes, I will include the nutritional information as best as I can because there are lots of people out there that need it for what ever reason.

Plus cast iron in as non stick as my teflon pans.  It heats evenly and holds the heat evenly.  If I take the pot to the table and then need to spend 15 - 20 minutes getting my toddler ready to eat, the food is still hot.  Cooking in cast iron means that in the summer I can use the same recipes and use my BBQ as an outdoor stove or oven without worrying about a flare up cracking my Pyrex or scorching my stainless steal.  I have found that stainless steel, isn't as stainless as it claims, and in case of emergency, you can always put plain cast iron through a clean cycle in your self cleaning oven and have it back to perfectly sanitized.

Yes, it takes a little more work to make sure it is seasoned properly and you can't leave it soaking over night.  I think it is worth it.  This is real life.  If I leave a pan soaking overnight, I'm not going to have time at breakfast to wash it.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! Found your blog through a friend, and think it's quite funny that we have (almost) the same blog names! Mine's www.thecastironkitchen.blogspot.com Check it out if you get a chance!

    I'll be following yours, checking out your cast-iron-cooked dishes. It's my favorite way to cook stovetop!

    All the best,
    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eep! That's a little intimidating! I'm not a foodie, but I also am not a photographer. Your pictures are so nice. Even when I get around to digging out my little point and shoot, this blog will never look as nice as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I doubt that, Erin, seriously - your dishes are already amazingly yummy and look so family friendly, and you are doing great! Keep it up and I am looking forward to seeing some photos too, before long!

    ReplyDelete