Cast Iron I have

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Bike rebuilding


So.... I have removed the rear wheel and re- installed it with the best chain tension I could manage.  I re-installed the cable for the IGH and tensioned it properly to shift correctly.  I tightened the screws the hold the chain guard in place.

That took care of the rattle and the shifting and the losing power.  I still had the clonk from the BB.  I have had to face up to the fact that this is the bike I have and I will just have to live with the clonk.  The mechanic says it is fine to ride, it just clonks because it is old and a little worn.

Then I got to bike today.  It was glorious.  I had to stop several times to retighten the screws on the chain guard and the rear nuts on the axel?  Spindle?  Thingy.   I'm not too proud to admit I need to get T to use those manly muscles to tighten everything more than I can.

I biked to the library for story time (3 kms each direction), then had lunch and biked to the post office and back (2kms each direction) to pick up my  package.  Since the sweater didn't fit, I biked back to the post office to send it back.  Then I biked to the grocery story to buy buns for dinner.  Total bike distance for today: approximately 16km.  Not far compared to people who are race training, but I towed a baby trailer and was riding a heavy vintage steel bicycle.

So far my muscle aren't sore, but I think I have saddle sores.  Lovely Bicycle had done a few article on bike saddles lately.  I think I have to start saving.  I'm not sure what to think of the idea that my saddle could be worth more that the whole rest of my bicycle.

Toddler girl took this all in stride.  She is turning into a potty rock star.  She even took herself to the full sized toilet when I nodded off during afternoon movie between the first and second trip to the post office.  I woke up to a half naked kidlet carrying her pants and a well used unflushed toilet.

I can't even begin to tell you how proud and glad I am that she made it.  I would not have wanted to clean that out of a cloth diaper.  You know you are potty training when you travel with a chamber pot in your bike basket. (Pictured right next to my purse.  It's blue.)

As I uploaded the picture, I noticed you can still see the last of the snow in the background.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for toddler girl!!! And yay for a bike that works! Just put playing cards in your spokes and make more noise and you'll hardly notice the clunk. ;)

    ReplyDelete