Cast Iron I have

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Goals

Since things feel like they have come off the rails, I think it's time to restate my goals.  Or at least state my goals, since I'm not really sure I have done that here.

When I started this blog I wanted a place to post the recipes I use in a search-able archive that my girls could access.  And since I was publishing about food, I wanted to post some entries about my belief that "good" and "bad" being irrelevant terms when it comes to food.   Food is just food.  Like anything else, it's all about moderation.

C, who is diabetic has (I think) a fairly good grasp of this.  She can eat anything as long as she watches her portions, balances her exercise and is careful with her activity level.  Eating out of balance (or disordered eating) as it is sometimes called has IMMEDIATE repercussions for her.  The rest of us can justify eating a six pack of donuts because, we don't do it everyday and we will make up for it later.  Then we don't.  She knows that kind of binge eating will make her feel awful right now, so she doesn't do it.

V, well.... some times I worry about you darling.  You talk about food using morality terms, chocolate bunnies as bad.  Well, OK, so eating an entire one as part of your regular diet might be a problem, but it isn't the bunny's fault.  I worry when you come out with statements like "I HATE butter."  I worry that you hide food in your room to be  able to eating things that Candice would have to be careful with.  I'm glad you aren't eating an entire bag of peach candy in front of her, but I worry that the food choices available to you are so unappealing that you would choose to eat an entire bag of peach candy.

And I have no idea how to talk to you about food without making you even more neurotic.  I have the usual food issues that North American women pick up along the way.  I am hoping that by providing a good example and healthy foods for you to choose from that you will find your way.  Or at least be able to counter balance the mixed messages out there.

Then I wanted to find away to be more active.  The CCM might be a right off, but I got into the swimming pool for the first time in two weeks.  It was.... good to be back.  I'm not any worse than I was the last time I was there.  I wish I was better.  I may have to see about saving up for some stroke improvement lessons or something.

I have to keep in mind that the bike as a car alternative was the means not the end.  If I can walk and focus on keeping Toddler girl active during the day, I can juggle cars and run errands in the evenings after T gets home.  Yes, having a practical city bike would help alot, but....  let's just wait and see on that one.  Maybe I'll win the Superba,  maybe I'll find something at a garage sale this summer.

In the mean time, I'll just keep doing what I do.

Waffle recipe to follow.

1 comment:

  1. Lorene said...

    "Well poo, I was going to suggest the police bike auction but it's over: http://www.police.saskatoon.sk.ca/index.php?loc=event_item.php&event_id=130

    They may have another one though.

    One of the problems is that high-fat foods are currently "on the outs" in official food guides, but more research about the different kinds of fats has shown that fats are satisfying and the best way to eat is probably "everything in moderation".

    I know a little bit about secretly eating food in my room, and yes it was because I wasn't supposed to be eating it. V is in a hard position because there is so much food that would make C sick. Totally not C's fault, but somehow V needs to be able to eat these things without feeling guilty.

    What if you had special treats for C as well, so if she saw V eating chocolate C could go get one of *her* treats if she felt hungry? The treats would have to really be special, but if you can find something, it might help?"
    I edited the above to remove the kids names.


    We have those kind of treats, both V and C eat them.

    I worry less about V eating in her room than I do about her publicly denouncing "bad foods" at the same time as hiding that she is eating them. I'm more worried about the messed up thinking about food than the messed up eating.

    ReplyDelete