Cast Iron I have

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Now what?

Did I mention I'm stubborn much?  At this point I wish I had just left the darn CCM in the junk heap it came from.  I wish I hadn't spent the money for parts thinking I could fix it.  I wish the frame wasn't so comfortable.  I wish I had put the parts money into a saving account for a new bike.

I still wouldn't have a bike, but I would be closer to being able to buy one.  I got sucked in by the idea of a fixed up vintage bike.  Of saving a bike from the land fill.  Of getting a comfortable bike on the cheap.  All those months of the back ordered parts was just the universe trying to give me a hint that it wasn't meant to be.

All the enjoyment I got out of playing bike repair person is completely ruined by learning I will never be able to ride the bike I put all that work into.  That the two fabulous trips I got out of it were the most expensive bike rides I will ever take.  It was really comfortable.

Now what?

More stubborn.  More at home repairs.  More frustration.  More trying to solve my bike's problems while Toddler Girl doesn't nap.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.  Maybe I should give up on fixing the CCM for a while and just ....  But that's just it....  just what?

The library is a 5 minute drive away, or 15 minutes by bike, or 30 - 40 minutes on foot.  Or (and this is a kicker) 75 minutes and three transfers by bus.  No.  I am not making that up.  The return trip by bus is faster.  It's only 55 minutes and two transfers.   Toddler girl can't walk that far.  I could put her in the carrier or stroller, but an hour long hike to attend a 30 minute toddler program is .... impractical?  It would be the only thing we could do all morning.  She would sleep in the stroller and be all hyper when we got home.

Neither one of us is keen to spend time on the bus or in the car.  Not after being trapped inside all winter.  And, as previously mentioned, the car isn't a practical option most days.

There is a park that is only a 5 minute walk from home.  I hope snow melts and the mud dries up soon so we can go play there without getting cold and wet.

I don't mind cold, but I can't handle cold and wet.  Muddy washes.  That's the least of my worries.  Kids are made to get muddy, sticky and covered in grime.  It's part of life.  Cleaning them up is what moms (and dads) are for.  Mud made of ice crystals is a special kind of nasty though.  It's hypothermia that sneaks up on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment