Cast Iron I have

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Waffles


I have to confess, waffles are one of those "I have miscalculated my food budget, how to I stretch to the end of the month without buying anything expensive" foods. I am embarrassed to admit that this happens every once in a while when unexpected expenses come up and I have to "borrow" the money from somewhere.  Fortunately I found this great recipe from Average Betty and my family hasn't noticed I'm feeding them on the cheap.  In fact, they ask for waffles as a special "breakfast at dinner" treat.

I can't take credit for this recipe.  The only thing I have changed is the cream of tarter which works its magic to make fluffy, yet crisp waffles that are the sought after texture around here.

There is a lot of cooking gear that I have inherited from my Gran, but the copper bowl I use here was found at Sally Ann for $0.99.  Best Sally Ann purchase I have ever made.  It also works great as a double boiler for lemon curd.

Waffles
1 ¾ cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 ½ tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ¾ cups milk
2 egg
½ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon cream of tarter

1. 1. Separate egg whites from yolks
2. In the copper bowl, using the small mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tarter until stiff peaks. Set aside until step 7
3. In a large mixer bowl combine milk, egg yolks, canola oil and vanilla.
4. Slowly add flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Remember speed kills
5. Mix gently, just until combined. Batter will be lumpy.
6. Plug in waffle iron and pre heat to level 3 until green light goes off.
7. Using a spoon, fold stiffened egg whites into mixture. Batter will be really lumpy.
8. Pour batter into preheated waffle iron. Bake 5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment