Cast Iron I have

Monday, April 18, 2011

Triathlon update

I honestly can't see how I'm going to be able to participate in a triathlon this spring.  Even a short one.  Bike training is going great.  I'm training with the trailer and on race day without it will be so much easier!  Running is.... going.  I'm getting better.  I'm not really a jogger yet, but I can see progress.

Swimming is completely stalled.  I am so much better than I was when I started.  In fact, I am as good of a swimmer as I ever have been.  That's the problem.  I have never been a swimmer.  I am not completely exhausted after swimming.  I am getting stronger that way.  But I still flounder and drown too much to participate in a race.  What I need is professional help in the form of stroke improvement classes or adult swimming lessons or something.

Except there aren't any that I could take and finish and still have time to practice before the race.  I have to admit, I am really disappointed in myself.

I really wanted to do this.

I knew the swimming was going to be a problem, but I thought I would keep getting better.  I didn't expect to keep getting better as fast as I did in the beginning, but ...  I didn't expect to still be this bad.  I even added extra swim days to the training plan to help make up for my lack of skill.

I know it's not about the weight, which is a good thing because I haven't lost any.  I think my muscles are starting to show.  I feel better.  All in all, it has been a really good experience.  And still.... I am disappointed in myself.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't the point of the triathlon really to race against your previous best time? I mean, this is your first one. So what if you have to doggie paddle half the time, as long as you don't have to be saved by a lifeguard, you win! I also never got the rhythm of when to breathe and when to paddle, and that stalled me in my swimming badge progress. I also have a horrible slice when I golf, but I don't let that stop me. (The horrible price of green fees stops me though.)

    My opinion is do it, keep track of your time, and do better next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Under normal circumstances I would agree with you. But swimming is the first event and everyone just piles into the pool to swim laps together. So either you keep up or you crash into everyone. Plus you have to be able to swim well enough that you won't get into trouble if you take a few collisions.

    I'm not sure I can do that.

    ReplyDelete