Cast Iron I have

Saturday, May 7, 2011

I disagree - update

Some how.... and I'm not sure how....  I ended up reading Life from Scratch on the kindle I got for Christmas/birthday this winter.  It isn't the kind of book I usually read.  I was struck by one part in the book when the main character talks about wanting people to read your journal,  that's why you post it on the internet.

OK.

I have to disagree with that one a little bit.

I think there are people out there that blog and think the internet is so big that no one will ever find them.  That isn't me, but I have met them.  They were really upset that I would go and read their blog after they told me where it was and what it was called.  (yeah... I don't get it, but when I tell that story other people have had the same experience) Then there are people like me that don't think my life is interesting enough to hold readers.

I have to say that until I needed help finding home for bunny I didn't really care that I had readers.  I know a few of you personally and the rest were just.... random fluctuation in the stats counter.

My issues aside, I think there are lots of reasons to have a blog other than necessarily wanting people to read your journal. The big few that immediately come to mind is my bad handwriting, that the computer is easier to just jot something down quick without having to work so hard from keeping Toddler girl from colouring in my book and the indexing system.  I also like the spell check.  I can review and rewrite easier than on paper.

Maybe this is a sign of increase digital sprawl, but I can type faster than I write.  Which explains my many of my blog posts are pretty much transcription of whatever is going through my head at the moment.  I wonder if people used to journal on typewriter like that back in the day?  NOTE TO SELF: internet research topic.

This is kind of sad, but a lot of the time I am blogging in a small window on my screen with toddler girl in my lap watching They Might be Giants videos in another window.  That kid can watch the Days of the Week video several times in a row.  It's a really fun video, but I would go nuts if I didn't have something else to do.  Blogging gives me that other focus, but we still get the nice snuggles in.

I have very mixed feeling about that song.  I am glad I stay home with Toddler girl, but...  it often feels like I'm always at work, from 11:00pm when she had night mares and want snacks and cuddles for two hours before she goes back to bed right through 6am when she woke up for the day, straight on keep working until 8pm when she goes to bed.  It isn't "no, no, I never go to work"  it's "no, no, I'm always at work."

And ultimately, maybe Toddler girl will want to read this someday.  The same could be said for that lovely paper journal I started.  So really, journalling in real life means that others can read it too.  Even if you hide it under your mattress.

In which case.... I love you so much baby girl!  Midnight snuggles are nice, even when we are both exhausted.  When I have nightmare, hubby puts up with me and gives me snuggles too.

3 comments:

  1. You need to approve your comments though so we can see what other people are saying! :)

    My sister in law made a blog. I Googled her because I thought "We didn't get along in the past, but maybe I'll find out from her blog that she's really a nice person." Then one of her posts was about how my mom always gave her "crap gifts". Of course then it was MY fault that I didn't warn her I was going to read her public blog. Or rather, it was my fault that I didn't warn her I was going to search for her blog, because it wasn't like I spent weeks reading it before this came up.

    Toddler girl will appreciate your being at home though. I still remember Mom staying home when I was little.

    The first blog I was addicted to was from a woman who just wrote about her daily life. It feels good to know others are going through the same struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Approving comments gets a little more challenging because I don't want to name the kids on my blog. The majority of the comments are from people I know who go ahead and use names. I can't change that; I can only approve or deny publishing. Or for people who commented with a paypal address and told me to send them an invoice for x amount to get the guest bunny a vet visit.... Well....

    I wouldn't want my paypal address posted so, I will give the same care to yours. Especially when I only have the info because they are a nice person (who I "know" from other internet sites) who wants to help a bunny out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why one blogs is often a mystery, to themself. It is to me anyways, about why I blog! LOL On the one hand, I LOVE being open, sharing with others. I feel it's so important to be real in this 'fake' world. The fake makes me sad, and I want to change that in my own little way. Try to add in some 'reality', even if for no one else but myself and maybe my own family.

    On the other hand, it is hard to be completely open when, like you said, you don't know who is all reading so you have to be sure anything and EVERYthing you say is going to be "a-ok" with anyone and everyone. LOL I suppose if I didn't care how it would affect others, I wouldn't care but that's not how I can seem to blog.

    Anywho, all that to say, I enjoy reading here. :)

    ReplyDelete