Cast Iron I have

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tuesday Nights

I used to like going to the movies.  Let me rephrase that:  I like going to the movies and I used to actually go.  Before T, I went almost weekly.  Then T and I went at least monthly.  Then we bought the house and we went once in a while.  Then Toddler girl was born and ... well, I go less than once a year now.  Life changes.  Priorities change.  That is no longer where I think my money should go.

Currently, I don't even know what is playing.  We don't have TV and the lack of trailers means I'm out of the loop.

Fortunately, I have a Tuesday night game instead.  It's free.  It's fun.  Sometime there are snacks.  Sometimes I bring the snacks.  Game night is at L's house which is about 8kms away.  This time, I rode my bike.  I took the Nishiki.

There were a lot of firsts on this ride.  My first time over railway tracks.  It was a little scary.  And my first time biking through open fields (on a path) in the dark.  I have bike lights, front and back.  I didn't have my camera.  There was wild life.  It was... creepy.

I don't know if it is a girl thing or what but, yes it was creepy.  There was a good stretch there where there aren't any houses.  There is a busy road but still....

I'm going to have to think about it before I do that again.  I can have populated areas all the way but it doubles the distance.  At 9:30 at night, I just wanted to get home.  This is stuff no one talks about when they play up living car light.  Mind you, a lot of the people who are having these discussions seem to be men, or in bigger centers with better transit options or more people around.

As an aside, after several days of biking everywhere, my leg muscles are so sore!  This has to be a good thing, right?  At least I can change it up a bit and switch to riding Claire for a while.  It amazes me how those two bikes seem to work completely different areas on my legs. 

On the other hand 8 kms in 20 minutes works out to be about 14 miles an hour.  I feel proud of that speed.  Now I just have to work to be able to sustain it.  I was tired when I got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment