Cast Iron I have

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The other bike

I'm looking at this bike:

It's a approximately 1983 Nishiki International.  It is in theory a touring bike.  It has bazons for fenders, and a rack and a water bottle cage.  That's the little attached nuts that look like this:
This bike fits me really well, except I like fenders on my bikes.  Here's my problem:

No fenders.... not even space for fenders.  Why put attachment points for fenders on a bike where the wheels are too big to use them?


The thing is, I have heard of something called a 650B conversion, where you take the 700 sized tires (like this bike has) off and put on a slightly smaller size to make room for fenders.  In theory, I should be able to go to the bike forum and post my pictures and ask the question.

However, they aren't always nice on the bike forums.  In fact, just recently they have been so vile to the author of one of the blogs I read that I have pretty much stopped going to the site all together.  Yes, the internet turns people into trolls, but forums are supposed to have moderators to keep that thing to a minimum.  T's tractor forum has "friendly" in their tag line and they whole group enforces good manners.  This forum.... it almost seems like they egg each other on into ruder and ruder behavior.

OK, let's be honest, the only way I can afford this bike is on credit and that way disaster lies.  But it bothers me that there is a great resorce out there that I'm not going to use due to rude people.  Do they even think about how their being rude to one person discourages everyone else who doesn't want to be bullied from participating?  Is that the point?

I can see this bike all fixed up with deco fenders from Velo Orange and Soma bullet lights and copper pedals and a copper bottle cage with a Kleen Kanteen.  I can dream about how to fix this bike up.  I can't afford to fix this bike up, but really... I have know idea if it is even possible.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Erin,

    About BF- the vast majority of people seem to forget that there are real people on the other end of their comments.

    About the bike- a 650b conversion will involve either new wheels, or new rims laced onto the original hubs. The downside is that this can be time-consuming and/or expensive.
    The upside is that those wheel & tire combinations are supposed to make some of the nicest-riding utility bikes EVAR.

    Velouria and Somervillain have me about convinced...

    Does your local co-op have the ability and skill to lace rims? If so, you can probably get it done with some help in a few evenings for relatively little money. Otherwise, some of the folks like Sixty-fiver (on BF)can likely help out from a bit farther away via the post.

    Corey K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corey -

    Thanks for the info, unfortunately I don't have a local bike co-op. There are people trying to set one up and I have volunteered for whatever I can do to help, but it isn't up and running yet.

    I would LOVE to learn how to lace rims but even at my LBS there is only one guy who does it. As far as I know, it's one of only two bike shops in town that do this at all. Classes on bike repair are not offered anywhere that I can find. I really do live in the middle of nowhere.

    I have to admit I am being sucked in by the glorious stories of fast riding touring bikes that don't send you home with a dirty backside that Velouria and Somervillian post. I would adore a bike like Graham (V's Sam Hillborne).

    I was trying to find a way to buy this as a road bike to replace the 10 speed that went to oldest teenage daughter, V, because it is too small for me.

    More bike stories soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corey - do you know if there is anyway to tell if I bike is a good candidate for 650B conversion? Or is it just any 700C bike? Even if I do buy this bike, the upgrades would be a few years down the road. It's just that which ever road bike I get, I would want to be able to do the upgrade and have fenders and fluffy tires.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I think about it, there is one potential problem, and that is brake reach. you might just be able to retrofit some centerpull brakes with a long enough reach to work with the smaller-diameter 650b rims, but as I recall, both Velouria and Somervillain's 650b bikes have cantilever brakes, in which each brake shoe is on a lever mounted to a post that is brazed or welded to the frame. The Nishiki would need that operation done if centerpulls wouldn't work. My suggestion would be to contact Velo Orange and see if they can help you figure out if the Nishiki is a good candidate for cnversion. They do sell all of the bits for that purpose, after all. or you could e-mail Somervillain or Velouria, They're both nice sorts, and knows loads about this stuff, far more than I do.

    ReplyDelete